Tuesday 12 December 2006

A few of my favourite things

Flicking through a few of the HRB's old posts (and also as some sort of homage to my friend Claire, who is an avid list-maker), I've been inspired to make a list of some of the places in Hobart I am currently enjoying. There's no hierarchy, and they're not necesarily my faves of all time, just quick thoughts on why they're great and perhaps how they could improve. So... a list of the current top ten:

Brew in Sandy Bay. Love it because: The staff are lovely, the coffee is good, it's close to uni, it's cheap and there's always something yummy for lunch. You can sit and watch the world go by, or rush in for a quick coffee, depending on what you need. Hurrah.

Machine. Love it because: Can't get enough of their haloumi for breakfast. I went there again this morning and they had us fed and coffeed in less than 20 minutes as I had to get to a business meeting. It could be better: Coffee could perhaps be better? I agree with Nellie, it's a little bitter for my taste.

Landsdowne Cafe. Love it because: The person that thought of putting Chorizo with poached eggs was a genius. Also can't get enough of the tomato relish they serve with the eggs. And I love waving to the little old man who walks his dog past the window every morning. Oh and the coffee is good. It could be better: Could be bigger - sometimes it's hard to fit in and squeeze past people.

T42. Love it because: The location, being able to chill out there, the yummy wines and the fact that they always ask which gin you would like with your tonic. Also love their fab risotto of prawns, pumpkin and chorizo. I go there regularly for breakfast on the weekends - it can be up and down but let's face it: the best location in Hobart, with lovely, chilled-out staff. Also good for a dinner where you also want people to come later on for drinks. It could be better: By getting some Malibu on their shelves for my friend Belle.

Sugo. Love it because: Of everything. Love the cherry tomato, proscuitto, fetta and rocket pizza. The cakes are wonderful, and so pretty to look at. A couple of times, I've spent upwards of four hours here and never been hurried along. The food is simple but good. I love that the menu changes seasonally, and the specials can be divine.

Proller (the new bar in Collins Street). Love it because: The couches, the cocktails, the prices, the atmosphere, the music. Am reserving final and complete judgement until I've been there a bit more, but so far... good.

Knoppies. Just something about standing on that sidewalk with a beer in my hands takes me back to my youth... like, three years ago... Nothing like it on a warm summer's eve.

Amulet's sweet treats. I can wander down there at 9pm and have some of their tasty, tasty desserts. Anyone for one of their chocolate puddings? Or how about their lemon tart? Lovely, lovely. Hurrah also for the wonderful front-of-house; I have never had anything less than impeccable, incredibly friendly, and prompt service there.

Tandoor and Curry House. Love the Makhani Chicken. And those yummy Cottage cheese balls. And the entrees. And when I get a couple of drinks into me, I will start demanding to go there, and the staff are always so patient and good. It's old school, it's not entirely glamorous, but dear lord, sometimes it's just what one needs.

Hill Street Grocer: Ok, maybe not a "restaurant", "cafe", or "bar", but something about being there makes me happy. Hello fresh produce. Mix it with a lazy weekend and some imagination and I'll be happy pottering in my kitchen.

Honourable Mentions: Fish Frenzy, Mai Ake, Aroma, Maldini, Retro's Coffee.

Something to think about, please add your own faves! Sophie xx

5 comments:

Nellie said...

Hey Sophie

Are you sure you're not my little sister?

She's Melbourne-based, but studying Law/International Relations at Uni, working at the Uni, had an exchange year in Poland 2 years ago, is an avid world traveller, and appreciates good food and coffee.

Have a great trip, and stay safe, OK? (now I sound like a big sister!!)

I must go try the Brew coffee next time I'm in Sandy Bay: thanks for the heads up.

Nellie

Nellie said...

Oh, I forgot to say, my little sister's name's Sophie too.

Food Kitty said...

Well it is Hobart - isn't everyone related in some way or other?

Sophie said...

Hey Nellie, that's pretty insane! I guess, as one of my friends would say, synchronicity really is everywhere. Maybe it's something about the name Sophie? Thanks for the travel well-wishes. The more people giving surrogate big-sister advice, the better! I expect people like you and Kitty to keep up the Hobart eating for me! Cheers, Soph.

Evey said...

Hey hon,

Ohhhh I miss Hobart eateries! But where is Jackman and McRoss?? It's an institution, I tell you!

I like all your choices though. I want to come home and go on a coffee crawl.

There is no COFFEE in London!