Friday 8 December 2006

Pierogi in Hobart



Oh my goodness, I am so excited!

I have just found out that pierogi are available from the Polish Club! Now what, you may well ask, are pierogi? They are little bundles of goodness direct from Poland. Essentially, think unleavened dough stuffed with filling (meat, cheese, sauerkraut, fruit, etc) and then boiled until cooked, and fried in lovely lovely oil and butter. Can't get enough of that cheesy, potato-ey, buttery goodness. See Wikipedia's article on them for more. My favourite are Ruski, which are filled with cheese. There is nothing, NOTHING better in this world than sitting down with some pierogi ruski and a decent Polish beer.

But you see, the thing is that I have never learnt to make them. And moreover, they are difficult to make - so hard that they are generally reserved for Christmas Eve (the Polish Christmas). This Christmas has the potential to be a difficult one for me, as it is the first without my Grandfather, and all my Polish traditions which were vested with him. I feared there would be no pierogi for me this Christmas.

BUT apparently all is not lost! Thank Heavens for the Polish Club and their bags of pierogi. I haven't yet tried them, but believe me, I will be heading up New Town Road asap to get me some of that artery-clogging tastiness. I will let you know how it goes.

P.S. I LOVE the "jesus-image pierogi" photo. That's a keeper.

5 comments:

Food Kitty said...

can you eat at the polish club? I didn't know that.
I bet the Jesus pierogi must have sold on eBay for a fortune!!!!

Evey said...

Wow hon I can't wait to try those pierogi ... they sound delish. Rather someone else was making them though ...

Sophie said...

Hey Kitty, not sure whether you can eat there, but I believe so. Will let you know. Haven't got there yet to buy the pierogi but will be checking it out. And I believe the Jesus pierogi sold for US$1775 on eBay!!

Nessie can't wait to hear more from you! And the most recent post is to remind you of all the goodness back in ye olde hobart town! xx

Anonymous said...

Hi there, can you still get pierogi at the Polish Club? I've just returned from Krakow and am desperate for some proper pierogi as I definitely can't make it!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, can you still get pierogi at the Polish Club? I've just returned from Krakow and am desperate for some proper pierogi as I definitely can't make it!