Saturday 2 December 2006

Why I'm Going

The last post is a photo of Angkor Wat, in Cambodia. The photo is very similar to one I've had on my wall for a couple of years now, serving as a reminder of a goal: to get back to Asia, to go exploring. I first went to Thailand a couple of years ago, when I was just 19. I spent a month travelling around the north of the country, trekking on the Thai-Burma Border, running around the streets of Bangkok, exploring temples, learning a few words of Thai, learning a few Thai cooking techniques. I fell in love with the country and the people. I vowed to return to the region, but next time, to explore Laos.

This year, my beloved grandfather died. I had uni holidays, and I could be flexible with the other things in my life (work, commitments to non-government organisations). I had experienced a huge couple of years of growing up. I had some money in the bank. It felt like it was time to "throw off the bowlines and sail away from the safe harbour... Explore. Dream. Discover" (Mark Twain). The initial idea to go to Laos was expanded to encompass Cambodia (having just spent a year studying the new International Criminal Tribunal in Cambodia for my Honours thesis, I felt it high time to pay my respects and to see the country), and Vietnam (having always wanted to see Ha Long Bay, and because it was so close).

There have been many perplexed looks from people I know. I'm sure one of my lecturers would remind me again of "how we've discussed your need to get a life... why aren't you going to a tropical island?" (that is a paraphrase from what he said when I went to Poland 2 years ago. Somehow I think tramping off to SE Asia is worse...). Many of my friends are referring to this trip as "Sophie's pilgrimage to the atrocities zones". I try to explain why I am going, but words sort of fail me. I will try here.

My experience of travelling in Asia is that you are respected for who you are, not what you do, or what you have. People could not care less whether I am a law student or anything else. They don't define me by my grades, my clothes, my job, what I am drinking or who I am seen with. People are open and friendly. I will go over there without my trademark jewellery and shoes, no perfume, and clothes which are designed only for comfort and cultural sensitivity, not because they're "pretty". I feel my most pure version of self. If you take away everything that defines you when you are at home, who are you? That is the question you can answer in Asia, because suddenly, you are alone with your backpack and so far away from everything that is quintessentially "you". I am not pressured to be the perfect student or the perfect anything, other than the perfect Sophie. It is a challenge and I am looking forward to discovering more about myself, as well as about these incredible countries and people.

So I head off in about 3 weeks, until then I may well start posting about restaurants (it being my birthday next week, I am about to eat out a lot, hurrah!) or about politics (ALP leadership hey?!), or studies or whatever else takes my fancy really. But this is mainly for use while I am away, so I look forward to uploading thoughts and photos and keeping you all posted - Sophie xx

No comments: