Tuesday 6 March 2007

The Highs and Lows

Thanks once more to all of you who are thinking of us. We are well, in a sort of life-upside down, facing mortality kind of way. It's so odd how life keeps going when everything is different, and it feels like everything should stop, because how can life be normal now? How can things possibly continue? And yet, they do. We are keeping positive in the way that says, "let's have a fantastic time for the time that we have left". We are cherishing the moments: the Hobart rain and the Hobart blue skies; home-cooked meals curled up on the couch with the dog and the first three seasons of 'The West Wing'; flowers, books, and most of all, people we love. We are playing music loudly and living in the way that people should always live, but never take the time to. My future has morphed into something I never wanted or thought possible, but I will continue to love life, and to live surrounded by love.

Anyway, I'm sure you want less of the self-reflectivity and more of the food news? A quick round-up of recent adventures through Hobart...

Highlights of the past few weeks:
  1. Breakfast at Criterion Street Cafe. I haven't been to Criterion in a LONG time, but we went back and were tempted by the pear bread, and the special of stewed rhubarb and apple with oats and yogurt. Both were sublime, actually. The toasted pear bread was buttery and served with extra poached pears as well as pouring cream and maple syrup. The service was fantastic, the (decaf) coffee was good, and I was happy. Take note Nellie - just around the corner from Kara... perhaps a sojourn to Criterion is in order?
  2. Dinner with the girls at Fransiscos in Battery Point. We shared tapas - bread with aioli; chorizo and red wine; meatballs; jamon; fried calamari; tortilla. It was genuine Spanish fare, something that just does not happen enough in Hobart. The menu tempted us with many other options to return. Fransiscos is an a favourite for the girls and I, and I've tried the paella and the chicken before, and still I can see reasons on the menu to go back. Mmmmm.
  3. Shopping at Myer. I have a random passion for Myer - it seems to exude decency and calm. And I love it even more when they have sales, or send me gift cards. Hurrah for Myer and hurrah for the false economy of being convinced that you are SAVING money, when in fact you are SPENDING money... Less guilt, more purchases.
  4. The Greek festival. I dragged all my friends and we all had a fantastic time. Stupidly, we all indulged in the Spit Roast (when in reality, divide and conquer was in order - we should have got lots of things and shared. Oh well, there's always next year). However, the Spit Roast was truly fantastic: fresh, succulent meat, lots of salad, and I was stuffed, to put it bluntly. Kourambides were taken home, Greek dancing was watched, and I loved, loved having grown up in North Hobart and always having been part of such a fantastic community.
  5. Discovering coriander pesto. Toss through pasta, add some cherry tomatoes, serve with a glass of wine and a salad...

Low lights of the past few weeks (other than the obvious):
  1. Breakfast at Phoenix. It held so much promise; it failed to deliver. Average service, hard poached eggs, unappetising toast. I was sad.
  2. The lack of night-life in Hobart. Really, nothing for those of us too old to go to Curlys, too young to go home when Tele/ T42 closes, and too practical to line up for hours.
  3. Finding out that the man I had been seeing before I went to Asia had always had a girlfriend in West Australia. Hmph.
  4. University food. I have made a pact not to eat on campus EVER AGAIN after the last over-priced cheese sandwich, and thus am bringing food from home, or from the Wursthaus on the way to uni.
  5. Giving up coffee. True. I have been suffering exhaustion ever since, might have to take the caffeine back up...
Hope this post finds you all well, and remember to live in the moment as much as possible and to hug your children and your loved ones, call your parents regularly, and eat fantastic food (full of nutrients and not carcinogens or other nasties)... S xx

4 comments:

Food Kitty said...

I tried to go to Curleys, but they wouldn't let me in with my walking stick!

The pear bread and mmmm rhubarb sound yum!

Nellie said...

Will definitely be giving Criterion a go for breckie asap; it used to be my fave a few years ago when my mate Nicole was in the kitchen. Sounds delish.

Where is Phoenix?

Yay on the Greek Festival; mr nellie has Greek heritage and we always intend to trot along to enjoy the festivities, but never seem to make it. My mother in law makes wicked kourambides.

The 2 timing man with the WA girlfriend is just a loser. Forget about him and keep focussing on all those positive experiences.

XX Nellie

Anonymous said...

PS all that lovely food sounds great though ... and I miss Hobart rain. So much nicer than London rain.

xx

Sophie said...

Hi all!

Yes, the Criterion Breckie was great, need to go back there soon. Had another wonderful Machine Breakfast the other day too... a friend and I shared poached eggs with haloumi and tomato rellish, then the banana and ricotta hotcakes with cream and butterscotch sauce... People keep asking me how my appetite is and whether I am sleeping, but both are FINE!!! (Really, really need to get to the gym).

Nellie, Phoenix is in the mall, next to Beaujangles. It is a promising bakery/ cafe and I have had decent cakes and pasteries from there, but the breakfast left a lot to be desired.

I am still trying to find the perfect Kourambides recipe - I tried Tessa Kiros's (from Falling Cloudberries), but too much butter and no almonds means they just disintegrate in your hands. however we cooked her Moussaka the other night and it was DIVINE.

As for the man, he has duly apologised and grovelled, he is now single and paying for his misdemeanours, and is probably moving to one of the most dangerous countries on earth. So he is out of my hair and has been forgiven.

Nessie darling good to hear from you, I'll send you an email today or tomorrow. Can't wait to have you back home, today it is a perfect blue-skied Hobart day and it would have been perfect for tea with you!

Hope you're all well and happy xxx