Friday 23 February 2007

Calm in the Storm

It has been an interesting, hectic couple of weeks. Asia feels so far away. We are all ok, coping exceptionally well in the midst of a crisis that is as unexpected as it is dramatic and worst-nightmarish in character. I won't go into any details, but it is someone close and something serious, yet ultimately nothing we can't deal with. We are keeping strong, putting our faith in God and in doctors, and staying very positive. I am focusing on going to Byron Bay in the middle of the year for some yoga and good food, and in the meantime busying myself with work, friends, preparing for Uni next week - and the endless tumult of doctors, lawyers, test results, washing, cooking, paying bills, writing emails, making phone calls...

I think people are finding it odd that I am actually more a ball of gratitude than of worry at the moment. I am overwhelmed by people who have left groceries, chocolate slice, vegetables on the doorstep; who have run errands, bought or brought dinners, sent cards, sent flowers, made offerings, not allowed me to pay in cafes or for appointments. Most of all I am indebted - forever, forever - to those who have prayed or kept us in their thoughts. I wrote out a list the other night of people who were doing that for us, and there were hundreds of names on it - from Hobart to Cambodia, Santa Fe to London, New Orleans to North Queensland. We have been so strengthened by these prayers and positive thoughts.

This experience has taught me a great deal, and coming on the end of the Asia trip, I feel like a very different person. I have learnt what are truly life's priorities. I am focusing on less, and doing it better. I am looking forward to spending the next year as a well-rounded, happy person rather than as a list of achievements. What matters is family, friends, education and health: the rest is superfluous. My faith in God has been strengthened. And I have finally learnt to forgive several trespasses I once thought could never be forgiven. And I hope that the trespasses I have inevitably made, may also be forgiven one day. I have also learnt never to travel overseas without a mobile phone and enough money to pay for an airflight home - thank goodness I had both of these things in Phnom Pehn.

Hobart is a fantastic place, filled with wonderful people. It is exceptional to have so much given to you in such a short space of time, and I will always be grateful.

3 comments:

Nellie said...

Sophie, add me to that list of people keeping you in their thoughts.

Sophie said...

Thank you darling Nellie, keep thinking of us - it's so appreciated.

Food Kitty said...

things going OK? best wishes little blogger