Monday 1 January 2007

Safe New Year

Just letting everyone know that we're safe and weren't affected by the bombings in Bangkok last night (several bombs went off in various parts of Bangkok last night. Two people were killed and according to the Australian newspaper, 36 injured. Reasons remain unknown - possibly an expansion of the violence in the far south that has raged for years; possibly related to the coup of 19 September). We watched it all on the news from the safety of our hotel room. It's all pretty distressing to tell the truth, I feel so terrible for the poor Thai people that were affected, and hope that this does not adveresly affect people's livelihoods. I also hope it doesn't affect tourism too much, as this place is built upon it, and without it people will really suffer. I'm in Bangkok until the 5th before heading North, then into Laos. Mum has left for Chiang Mai in the North today. I promise I'll take good care of myself in the next couple of days. Love you all terribly much, Sophie.

No comments: