Wednesday 7 February 2007

How Did That Happen?

I'm currently in Hoi An, aka capital of tailor made clothes. It is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site and has incredible architecture, food, and lots to do - but most people come for the clothes. You would think that after six weeks travelling through Buddhist countries with only a backpack, one might be inclined to renounce all material possessions. After all, how many dresses does a girl need? As it turns out, the correct answer is at least four - one ball gown, one summer dress, one formal little black dress, and one plain little black dress. Match that with a couple of skirts and some trousers, a woolen jacket (pink!) and an opera jacket (because I go to the opera sooooooo regularly - I got that one already made in Ha Noi) and a girl should be about set. It turns out that a girl also needs at least four bags (evening, day, play and work), and several silk scarves. And jewelry. Some of this booty I have already sent back to Aust. Some of it is sitting in my pack. I'm still wearing fishermans pants and sneakers and a fake wedding band and looking like a slob.

Update: I have just posted most of these things home and am now $30 US lighter. Oops.

No comments: