Wednesday 7 February 2007

Well Past the Halfway Mark

So there is less than a month left. I'm definitely starting to feel the affects of all this travel, and I'm looking forward to a home cooked meal, a soft bed, hot water without fail, decent coffee, cheese, red wine, salamanca place, uni (call me mad but I miss the academic rigour of study something chronic), and talking to people who both know me, and are intelligent. I love you guys! This trip has been incredible. It hasn't been the time of my life all the time, but it has been the time of my life overall. Honestly, I have nearly come home innumerable times, for a range of reasons. It has not been easy, and I will never travel alone in asia again. But I have had such a great time. I have learnt to say "thank you" in several languages; been tubing in Vang Vieng and Kayaking in Ha Long Bay; practised my french with schoolkids, talked to monks, and shared my lunch with a Lao girl about my age; seen the affects of war with startling clarity; eaten crickets and dog (that was an accident and one I never thought I'd make, but oh well); learnt to cook thai, lao, and Vietnamese; walked up waterfalls and swam in streams; met the most amazingly kind people; seen the Lao dancing information at nightclubs; compared the merits of "Mr Whippy" across asia (hilarious portable icecream vans); I could go on forever... but you get the idea. I have also come to numerous conclusions about myself and my life. Let's face it - this trip was as much to get away, and get some space after the worst year of my life, as it was to see southeast asia. I have had the space I needed and I have discovered that I love my life and I am proud of myself and my achievements, but I am constantly wanting to better myself. So I have made a few promises to myself. I'm not going to share them, except one which I want you guys to help me keep - I want to swear less!! So you all have to help me on that front ok!

So from here, on to Cambodia, where I will keep you all posted on my further adventures! All love, Sophie.

No comments: