Thursday 15 February 2007

The Last Couple of Weeks

hawking books, phnom pehn


Well, it has been hectic, to say the least. I have arrived home early due to a family emergency. I got the news on Sunday night; by Monday night I was on a plane home; and was back in Hobart by Tuesday at 2pm. Phnom Penh to Hobart in the blink of an eyelid. It proves that the world is not a big place when people are helping you.

I am so lucky and I will always be grateful to the guardian angels who have helped me this week: Scott the Intrepid tour leader; the fantastic Mr Sorphea who operated a 24hour travel agency in Phnom Penh and even drove me to the airport; the people who listened to me along the way; the Cambodians who protected me and helped me at every turn; friends at home who pulled all strings to get me home; and all the help and support I have been offered by everyone. I can't begin to describe how grateful I am.

But before I left Cambodia, I had several wonderful days in Phnom Penh. I am looking forward to returning soon. Highlights included...

  1. The people. Along with the Lao, the most generous, kind-hearted, beautiful individuals. I was welcomed from the first minute, and I appreciated their honesty in discussing their recent history. Their smiles were broad and constant.

  2. Oddly enough, Tuol Sleng (the genocide museum) and the killing fields. It was important to me to pay my respects there.

  3. The food, of course - I particularly liked fish amoc (fish cooked in coconut milk and spices in a banana leaf) and khmer chicken curry.

  4. Friends the Restaurant. It is a non-profit restaurant operated by former street youths and comes under the umbrella of Mith Samlanh Friends, an NGO which assists approximately 2,000 young people through 12 interlinked projects, of which the restaurant is one. Fantastic food and a great cause. I even bought the cookbook and looking forward to getting stuck into a touch of Phnom Pehn in Hobart.

  5. The Foreign Correspondents Club for a sundowner at Happy Hour.

  6. The shopping... silk, silver, anyone??

  7. Everything, everything, everything.

And now I'm home, thankful for everything that I have: my health, family and friends who are more like family, and incredible experiences. This has been a cursory post but I hope you forgive me that, as my energies are elsewhere at the moment. I'll post more some other time, but until then I'll leave you thinking about Cambodia, an exceptional country with stunning people.

No comments: